5/18/2009

CAN I MAKE A REQUEST?

Found myself djing at Ultra Supperclub in Toronto last Thursday with a few added surprises during the night to make it extra memorable. A little after Kaya Jones’ (Pussycat Dolls) performance, I had a guy come in the booth requesting that I play a spanish song… “any spanish remix” he says.


As he is asking me this, he pulls out what looks like a hefty wad of 100 dollar bills, thinking it might entice me to play it. As he is fidgeting through his stack of 100’s, he finds a bill and throws it down on the mixer. I look at it and its BLUE! a five dollar bill with a receipt attached to it! I say… five dollars!? You expect me to play a spanish song for $5, after you showed off your thick wad of cash!?

Firstly, I barely ever take requests, and I most certainly wouldn’t charge you for it if its reasonable one, … but if you are going to try and impress me by showing off how much money you have in your pocket, then throw a measly five dollar bill down on my mixer ……. ha, i’m not a dumb cookie!

So the “requester” is like, “Oh that’s not enough”, and I say “na uh!!!”, so then throws a $100 down… and I said thank you :)

I guess this would happen most in New York, the act of giving tips to the dj to play certain tracks!
I remember another time when I used to do the Wednesday night parties at the 
W Hotel inside the Wunderbar, someone offered me $300 to play a 50 cent song… too bad I didnt have it ;)